Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Blog hop 12.12.12

I am not exactly sure what a blog hop is but I have been asked to take part in one today so here we go. There is a good chance I might get the technical side of it wrong, but I think if I do it right you should be able to hop to different blogs around the world from here so I hope you enjoy reading them!

The theme is Christmas and this will be my third barrio Christmas. The first one I insisted on a proper British Christmas which was a big mistake as it meant buying a turkey. There are no frozen turkeys here, so my husband went to buy a fresh one. Luckily the man at the market did all the necessary preparation to the original 15 lb bird, to save husband walking it home with a piece of string. However, by the time he had finished making it oven ready, it had decreased to the size of a large chicken.

I cooked it as you normally cook a turkey but it ended up being the toughest thing I have ever eaten in my life. Never again.

Last year we did a Dominican Christmas which is celebrated on Christmas eve with a big family meal. The pork leg was sent to the baker to put in his bread oven.  Most people have their pork cooked there and the baker carves your name on the top so you make sure you get your bit of pork back.  It was absolutely delicious.and was accompanied by salads, rice, potatoes and vegetables.



This year will be a combination of the two. Dominican Christmas on Christmas eve, and then Santa Claus will be arriving for Chivirico, my 6 year old friend, for the first time in his life on Christmas Day. I am sure it will be my best Christmas here too as I can't wait for him to find all his presents. He has his first ever Christmas tree now too.




17 comments:

  1. Oh Linds look at his little face...he's SO cute :)Does DR have a traditional Christmas cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No cake Carole, no pudding, no sprouts, but we have bread called Telera which is a large white loaf eaten at Christmas. As far as I can tell it is just like any other loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how tough that turkey was. I learned a long time ago that the birds we eat are young...the old ones aren't tender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked it for hours and hours and it made no difference! And I thought a fresh one would be better than frozen. Never again.

      Delete
  4. It's been so interesting following this blog hop all over the world. Who would have thought I'd end up in the Dominican Republic? I like the idea of having someone else cook the pork leg! Merry Christmas to your little friend...hope he has a fab first Christmas. Love the photo of his with the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been great trekking around the world seeing what is happening in different countries for Christmas. Glad you liked the picture of Chivirico.

      Delete
  5. Not to be the gringe who steals Christmas here, I think there are some things to keep in mind. Having grown up in a third world country, the notion of Santa Claus, is often left out of the Christmas celebration as it is just too damn expensive to buy all the children gifts. What is important is the family meal, the special cakes and drinks and the get-together and if lucky, one toy per child. Every tree in the yard is painted, with lights in them, which makes them all Christmas trees. Saying that to say that money or the lack of it, often determine our notions of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right, but this is a little boy who says he must have always been naughty as Santa doesn't visit naughty kids. Just once I wanted to give him hope and a dream and make his dream come true. The family can't afford the meal or the lights so I have raised enough money for both and for some special toys for him.

      Delete
    2. You're also very right and I commend you 100% for what you are doing. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the turnkey, not tempted at all, we had wild turkeys on our farm when I was young, but we never ever thought to eat them, not part of our diet at all.
    Looks like Chiviroco is going to have a special Christmas, Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for Chivirico. Blessing to your and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for joining the blog hop Lindsay. Belated condolences on the loss of your friend. I'm so sorry.
    That's a great photo of your husband and the table of food - looks like it's all for him! (It wasn't, was it?!)
    Have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We keep to our Portuguese traditional Christmas here in Australia. A late Christmas dinner on the 24th, which is meant to last until midnight, when the presents are opened, or when people go to Mass. Then on the 25th there is a family lunch again, with the traditional dishes of Bacalhau (cod fish), Turkey and varied desserts. Chivirico will have a wonderful Christmas this year, lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. be sure to post pictures of Chivirico opening his pressies, have a wonderful Christmas from a fellow blog hopper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the Christmas wishes and will of course post pictures of Dominican Christmas together with Chivirico and his presents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the picture of the table with all the food :-)
    Enjoy your Xmas and have a successful and peaceful 2013.
    Suz x

    ReplyDelete